The house at Chartwell stands in 82 acres, including a garden of approximately 30 acres, park-like pasture and woodland and lakes. It has spectacular views over the Weald of Kent towards the Ashdown Forest and the South Downs.
Chartwell was the family home of Sir Winston and Clementine Churchill for 40 years, from 1924 until 1965.
During the twenties and thirties, Churchill used Chartwell as the base for his political and literary work, hosting weekend house parties when close relations and friends would gather to enjoy Chartwell’s commanding views over the Weald of Kent or spar with Sir Winston on the politics of the day.
During the war the house was dust-sheeted and closed up as it was deemed unsafe, being too conspicuous from the air. It was during this time that Churchill devised his famous scheme for the creation of The Mulberry Harbours, the name the function room at Chartwell Restaurant now proudly bears. Sir Winston died in 1965 and Clementine decided to give up residence to enable the National Trust to prepare it for opening to the public in 1966.