Avoiding classic and expected songs such as ‘Here Comes the Bride’ when walking down the aisle is perfectly fine! You should have whatever song you wish, no matter how unconventional it may be. Remember, it’s your wedding day, so make the day your own!
Inspiration for wedding day music can come from the most unlikely of places. For example, the recent film, 50 Shades of Grey features many romantic songs that could easily be justified as fantastic choices to have at your wedding, such as Ellie Goulding – Love Me Like You Do, Annie Lennox – I Put a Spell on You and Beyoncés beautiful new version of Crazy in Love are all brilliant choices. Many couples like to choose a song that’s sentimental to them and a song that will stay true to their love story. If the lyrics of a song taken from 50 Shades of Grey expresses your love in a way that feels right; there should be no reason why you shouldn’t use it.
It’s important to choose songs that represent you and your partner therefore, if you are both heavy metal fans, picking a song from a rock band you love would make your day very personal. Dance to electronic, hip hop or folk music for your first dance and why not play Jazz and Latin songs when you’re walking down the aisle?
Here are some fabulous unconventional tunes to play at your wedding:
Walking down the aisle
1. James Bond theme tune – If you and your partner are major Bond fans, this could be a great song to have whilst walking down the aisle! It’s a bit of a silly one, but if you’re wanting to create a light-hearted atmosphere, why not?
2. Unconditionally – Katy Perry. This is a beautiful song with meaningful lyrics. It would be great for couples after a song filled with deep emotions and a heartfelt love story; expressing that they will love each other ‘unconditionally’
3. Nothing Else Matters – Apocalyptica. For couples who enjoy goth/metal music, this is the perfect compromise, as it’s slow, beautiful and creates the perfect setting to walk down the aisle. This is a cover from Metallica. If there are any metal or rock songs that you like, these can work great as many are often melodic and you can usually find string instrument versions too.
4. Signed, Sealed, Delivered – Stevie Wonder. This is an upbeat song that would instantly put everyone in a REALLY good mood! The lyrics are very fitting too – ‘signed, sealed, delivered, I’m yours
5. Forest Gump – Feather. This is a delicate, beautiful song from the film, Forest Gump. Its soft, gentle and meaningful. If this is your favourite film, this song could be the perfect song to walk down the aisle to.
1. Al Green – Let’s stay together. Ideal for the romantic type that want to avoid traditional songs like: Here Comes the Bride, but still want to keep the setting fairly light and dreamy. The lyrics are very fitting too ‘I want to spend my life with you’.
2. Elvis Presley – All Shock Up. This is a great first dance song that would definitely get all your guests on their feet, ready to get onto the dance floor after you!
3. U2 – The Sweetest Thing – This is a lovely song that’s full of meaning. Perfect for couples after a slow first dance.
4. Muse – Invincible. Ideal song for couples that are fans of the band, Muse. This song really avoids the traditional first dance wedding song and completely puts your own personal touch on it. It’s a slow song, but very moving with great lyrics. Have a listen and imagine yourself having your first dance with your partner.
5. Green day – Time of your life. If you want an alternative first dance song, this could be it!
Let us know which song you’ll be having for when you walk down the aisle and have your first dance as newly weds!
Image credit: leddancefloors.co.uk